maddie

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Mom's Carrot Cake

My mom turned 67 this last week. She seems so much younger than that - and I feel too young to have a mother that old! Anyway I wanted to make her something special, and I know she likes carrot cake. So I made my first carrot cake! The cake was easy to make, and it tasted delicious. It was moist and flavorful - better than any store bought carrot cake I've eaten. I'm not trying to brag on myself - it was just a great recipe. I was kind of surprised...because it's still carrot cake, right? I mean, theres like 3 cups of grated carrots in it! I got the recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, Family Dinner Cookbook by Debbie G. Harman.


Mom's Carrot Cake
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs well beaten
3 cups carrots, finely shredded
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (opt.)
1 cup raisins (opt.)

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, carrots, and oil. Add to flour mixture and stir until well blended. Stir in nuts and raisins if desired. Pour into greased 9 x 13 cake pan and bake at 350 for 35 - 40 minutes or until knife inserted at center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 4 oz pkg. cream cheese
4 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Add softened butter and vanilla and mix until well blended. Gradually mix in powdered sugar until frosting reaches a nice consistency. Makes 2 cups frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment