maddie

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sour Cream Cookies



 I loved 'sour cream cookies' as a kid.  I have made them a few times with recipes I found on the Internet, but this is the first time I made them using my Grandma Madeline's recipe.  Ohhhh they are sooooo good!  My family kept stealing cookies while I was making the frosting.  They are good without frosting, but even better with!!!  Eating these cookies was like turning back the clock 25 years! :)

Madeline's Sour Cream Cookies

Cream together:
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Add:
2 3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream

Mix well.  Add 3/4 cup nuts if desired.
Bake at 350 for 11-13 minutes

 Creaming the butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla.

 Adding the remaining ingredients.


Getting ready to bake.

 Cooling...and about to be snitched!

 Heavenly!  This is Shane's Grandma Allen's cookie plate.  Special cookies deserve a special plate, right?
So the frosting recipe for the cookies isn't exact...I didn't have 'canned cream' so I just subbed milk.  I started with a cube of softened butter, added 2 - 3 cups of powdered sugar, 1 - 3 tablespoons milk (ok ok I wasn't measuring!) and about 1 tsp Mapleine.  If you don't have Mapleine you could leave it out or use vanilla.  Then I beat together all ingredients till it was smooth and thickish.  Yes thickish.  Let's all say thickish...not to be confused with ticklish...oh when you spend your time with 5 year olds thickish is funny.  That is, funnyish.  Hee hee...


Doesn't this box look so old fashioned? 
It's like they never changed the label. 
You can make your own maple syrup with Mapleine.  It was really popular in the depression when people couldn't afford maple syrup, they made their own with Mapleine. 

This add is from 1909.

This one is from the 1950's.
Love these old adds.  Ha ha ha..."make delicious syrup instantly!"
Happy baking!

1 comment:

  1. Jason's grammie use to make sour cream cookies. sigh. I have to laugh about the Mapleline add. I use that to make maple syrup often, lol!

    ReplyDelete